Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Dear [insert your name here],

As the one week anniversary of this blog arrives, I welcome you to look back on all of the fond memories this blog has produced for you over the past week.

But, MY mind is preoccupied. Sure, at work, I focus on work, but you must be wondering what am I thinking about outside of work. Am I focusing my attention on all the suffering in the world or the great joys that life has to offer? If I was, I wouldn't tell you. But if I wasn't focusing on these things, I would start my next sentence with "no" or "instead".

Instead, I am focusing on how I just purchased cones (little orange ones) for a football game I am organizing a week from Saturday. This coming weekend, I am flying to a destination in Florida, taking my first vacation in two years. A friend who is going to be there told me that we are renting a convertible to really live up the experience. We are also going to the "Loser Bowl" (TM) to watch the Miami Dolphins try to get their first win against the magnificent New York Jets.
The weekend that follows, I am going to hang out with awesome kids (not related to football), then play football, and then enjoy some drinking festivities. In the process, I am merging several different groups of friends that could potentially be awesome or awful. But, what am I thinking about? What's got me all hyped? The purchase of the mini-cones and the prospect of laying them out over a fresh field of grass. Sure, I bought a football too and that's cool, but laying out the cones... that's gonna be sweet.

I am probably going to play the game for a few hours, but that means, as a receiver, I will only touch the ball (i.e. drop the ball), at most a few times. Yet, the memory of laying out the cones... that lasts a lifetime. But, probably since I bought the cones, I'll have someone else lay them out.

Many people asked me over the course of this past week, "why did you start a blog?" Actually, that person asked me, "why did YOU start a blog?" They, (he) meant, what did I have to contribute to the "blogosphere"? And after hours of thought and consideration, after pondering and searching my soul for meaning, this is my answer... I like cones, and I want the world to know it. Other people have asked me why I started the blog now? And my response to that question required no thought at all... Because in these times of turmoil, when terrorists seek to destroy the very fabric of our society, somebody has to write about my appreciation of cones, and with me being myself and available for the job, I decided to carry that mantle. Regardless of the danger or controversy involved, you will be able to read about the things I appreciate, (unless someone pays me not to write about myself, hint hint,) (or if I get bored).

Other people have requested to add to my blog, and of course, they are welcome to add to the blog, in the comments section, where, pending approval, their words will be subject to my scrutiny and my wrath (which is actually a lot like my scrutiny).

The sad part is, that I am already growing weary of writing this stupid blog, and without feedback and comments, I am probably going to start ranting in essay format about how our society's celebration and romantization of pirates has ruined and will continue to ruin our culture (which is true, and hopefully tonight's episode of Bones will tell us more). Stupid pirates. And, yes, that is a very real threat to both you and to pirates.

On that note, I will say my farewells. I believe in this blog, and if I can maintain funding, I hope to continue writing for this blog next week and maybe even a few weeks after that.

So, enjoy your Tuesday, and I will write to you again soon.
My adoring fan,
ME

2 comments:

  1. Are you slowly losing your mind?
    PS - Be sure to write about celebrity gossip, people like reading about that on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do anything slowly.
    And I don't need to write about celebrities because I don't need the limelight or people's approval. I'm more like a Johnny Depp or a Keanu Reeves in that way. And I'm not going to make anything up like saying that Sarah Michelle Gellar is getting divorced from Freddie Prinz's son because that would be wrong, morally and factually. Unfortunately, it was Charisma Carpenter getting divorced from her husband. Sad day. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete