Monday, January 14, 2008

Cookie Party

Inspired by Chips Ahoy commercials everywhere:

Cookie Daddy: or How to Choose a Cookie
...
Each day, they wait their turn to be taken,
Lined up and pray to be not forsaken.
None know where the removed cookies land,
After life’s defining moment, taken by hand.

But one did not conform and begged for relief.
This fresh cookie doubted wisdom’s good grief.
He spent each of his days drowning in dread.
'Til he asked if there’s more, and his Dad said,

“You can’t make life about things you don’t get
Or think other’s are better; it’s unproven yet.
Look at Old Chip all, spotted and mildewed;
he spent years proud, unchosen, unchewed.

My proudest moment was creating you
and my next one was when I was near due
While you don’t understand; I get life’s test,
I seek purpose fulfillment, which is life’s best.”

While cookie Dad shared a moment with Son,
Son weighed Dad’s longing pride and Old Chip’s fun.
“I don’t need more,” Son lied to himself and laughed.
Soon after, Son watched Man take Dad in life's draft.


To be fair, I recently rewatched Big Daddy, and I also re-heard "Cat's in the Cradle" or whatever that song is called, sang by someone, but NOT Cat Stevens. Other than that, I felt like cookies were not adequately represented in poetry. So, take that poetry.

Big Papa Bear,
Mark Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment